Sunday, February 13, 2011

Emphasis and Focal Point

For this assignment, I chose all of my examples from my favorite fly fishing magazine, The Fly Fish Journal.  Their photography, art work, and layout is fantastic!

Contrast:
 
I chose this photo of the salmon jumping out of water because the color in the fish contrasted abruptly with the drab color of the water, making it the obvious focal point of the photo.

Isolation: 

To me, the angler in the bottom right corner in these photos was a great example of isolation.  He and his action were emphasized by being isolated in the sea.
Placement:


This image of men sitting at a bar reminds me of placement in that the framing of the photo, the lines created by the wide camera lens  and objects in the room (the table and chairs, beams) all point in the direction of the bar.  

One Element:

To me, this photo represents a strong, single focal point.  In the magazine, the rafter was a brighter blue than it came out here, making it pop against the monotone colors of the river.  Your eye is instantly drawn directly to raft, demonstrating the boaters being alone in the wilderness. 


Absence of Focal Point:




This picture has no focal point on purpose.  By framing just the grass repeating in the water, the entire composition is emphasized rather then just one singular object. 

No comments:

Post a Comment